[OFFICIAL UPDATE] Manually Update Your HTC Droid Eris To Android 2.1
The official update package can now be downloaded from Google’s servers and installed manually onto your Droid Eris, and for the impatient here is how:
- Download the Android 2.1 firmware for Droid Eris straight from Google.
- Rename the file update.zip and copy it to your microSD card via USB. [Note: make sure the file is named update.zip and not update.zip.zip.]
- Power down your Eris.
- Hold down the “Volume Down” button as you power the phone back on.
- A screen should appear showing your phone’s system searching for various files. Scroll down to “recovery” and press the “Power” button.
- When you see the triangle with an exclamation point symbol, press the “Power” and “Home” buttons at the same time.
- From the menu that appears, select “Apply sdcard:update.zip.”
- When the screen displays “Install from sdcard complete” select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to power back up.
Voila! Android 2.1 on your Droid Eris. The whole process should take about 15 minutes. Enjoy.
[Note: If you have previously installed a leaked version of the update this one won't work with your phone. You'll need to be running your Droid Eris stock.]
[UPDATE]: As there seems to be some confusion I would like to clarify that this is the OFFICIAL release that is being sent out to handsets and therefore you will get the exact same update as those who have received the OTA. This is not a leak or a pre-release build, and is totally legit for installation. The one catch is the manual update will wipe the phone, so be sure to back up your important info.
-=WARNING=- If you don’t know what you’re doing then please don’t bother with it. Wait for the OTA update. No ones responsible for your own mistakes if something goes wrong while manually updating your phone.
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010, in Android, Phone News and tagged Android, Android 2.1, Google, HTC, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Droid Eris 2.1, Manually Update Eris to Android 2.1, Official Eris 2.1 Update. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.